Our guest post this month is from the extremely talented Social Media and PR consultant Marie Ennis O’Connor. Marie challenges you to manage your social media needs in two minutes a day. Yes only 2 minutes a day! Read on to find out HOW you can easily handle your business social media updates in just 2 minutes a day…
One of the things I hear most frequently when I teach social media workshops is “but I don’t have time to do it.” My response? If you have two minutes to spare in your day, you can handle social media.
The Two-Minute Rule
This two-minute rule was created by time management consultant David Allen. David has developed productivity and improvement programs for Fortune 500 corporations, global not for-profits and U.S. government agencies.
If you determine an action can be done in two minutes, you actually should do it right then. Why? Because it’ll take longer to organize it and review it, than it would be to actually finish it the first time you notice it. If you don’t avoid the question about what’s the next step, lots of two minute items could be done right then.
How to Apply The Two-Minute Rule to Social Media
There are lots of things you can do right now which take two minutes or less to manage social media. Here are some suggestions:
- Replace your profile picture if it’s still an egg!
- Pin a tweet to the top of your timeline
- Add a header image that reflects your company
- Welcome new followers
- Thank someone for re-tweeting you
- Re-tweet someone else’s tweet
- Pre-schedule ten tweets using Hootsuite or Buffer
- Create an impactful header image
- Pin an update to the top of your timeline
- Share a video
- Schedule updates with Facebook’s scheduler tool
- Respond to comments
- Share a link to your latest blog post
- Follow some new business pages
- Add social sharing buttons to encourage readers to share your content
- Add an image to every blog post
- Optimize your images for Google by captioning them with keywords
- Link your blog to Twitter and Facebook
- Update your About page
- Pin your blog posts to Pinterest
- Follow and comment on other blogs
- Add a professional picture to your account
- Include keywords in your headline and bio
- Include links to your website and other social media profiles
- Upload your presentations to showcase your expertise
- Join business groups and contribute to the conversation
- If you don’t already have an account, set one up – it is quick and easy to do
- Add your website and other social media profiles to your account
- Follow pinboards relevant to your business
- Re-pin interesting content from other users
As you can see you can achieve a lot on social media in just two minutes every day. It’s such an easy rule to put into practice. So the next time you find you have two minutes to spare, use that time to manage your social media. In fact why not start right now? Pick one of the items from the list of suggestions above and go do it straight away. You’ll find those two-minute moments each day will add up to a week’s worth of productive social activity. Try it and see for yourself.
Marie Ennis-O’Connor is a social media consultant who specialises in working with healthcare organisations to maximise their online presence. Marie runs the website Health Care Social Media. You can find her on twitter at @JBBC